When we heard that one of the countries leading tanning experts James Harknett has teamed up with AWAY®
Spa at W London, Leicester Square to offer a sensational new menu of tanning treatments, we knew we had to check it out. Self tan is a big topic of conversation here at Company HQ - from which brand we use, to how we apply it, spray tan vs DIY, we consider ourselves pretty clued up on tanning, but we thought we'd come and see the master to learn some of his secrets.
Fresh from tanning backstage at London Fashion Week, James is offering bespoke spray tans at AWAY Spa, and whether it is a naturally sun kissed look or a Californian glow you're after, James has found that there is a constant search for the perfect tan. With this in mind, he designed his own tailored 'by appointment' service in London, which has led him to be on many celebrities speed dial.
Guests at AWAY Spa are all given VIP treatment, beginning with a consultation to discuss their tan requirements - he asked us what tans we normally used, about our lifestyles and if we were getting the tan for a specific event. James then selects the best products to suit you which he expertly applies, leaving a flawless finish. From The New York and The London to The Barcelona and The Santa Fe, James' tanning menu offers a range of summery tones to suit all skin types.
James is based at AWAY Spa every Wednesday and Friday from 12 noon - 9 pm. As well as offering tanning treatments in AWAY Spa, James will also be on call to offer treatments to guests of W London in the comfort of their own room. Armed with a portable tanning booth, guests can be pampered from head to toe until midnight.
James Harknett comments:
'I am thrilled to be bringing my service to the heart of London at W. With over 10 years experience in the tanning industry, I can utilise my skills in crafting the ultimate spray tan. My unique tanning menu offers guests and clients a choice of the perfect skin finish - from a slight honey like dusting, to a rich caramel hue.'
Team Company went for the 'Barcelona' - and we were SO impressed with the tan, which faded gradually and evenly all over. It lasted an amazing seven days - and that included being on holiday, in and out of the pool and hot temperatures. If you have a special event to go to, we would definitely recommend going to see James as a treat before... you will really knock 'em dead!
The tanning service is the latest addition to AWAY Spa's existing array of body-boosting services and tension-fighting facilities. Whether in dire need of some pampering ahead of a night out, or revitalisation from the night before, AWAY Spa provides tailor-made treatments which respond to each individual desire.
James Harknetts Tanning Menu at AWAY Spa, W London - Leicester Square includes the following treatments:
The New York
- SJP's finest
- A beautiful caramel hued tan which gives a high fashion edge and natural finish. The barely-there tan is a dusting of product to achieve a subtle glow
- Application: One layer of the lightest tan on the market achieves this look. The effect will last for 3-5 days.
- Kate's fashion tan
- London girls don't mess around. A mid-tone tan gives you that instant lift, brightening complexion, hair and teeth.
- Application: A slightly deeper shade of tan than The New York. Two fine layers are contoured onto the skin, with special attention paid to cheekbones, upper arms and abs. The effect will last 5-7 days.
- Penelope Cruz shows her friends how it's done
- Lazy days on the beach and a sexy glowing hue. Think creamy cappuccino with shots of chocolate running through.
- Application Use a unique layering technique to give that extra dark tone. The beauty of this tan is that it sculpts your legs and lasts 7-10 days.
The Santa Fe
- J Lo smolders like burnished bronze
- Hazelnut, chocolate and oak-smoked tones give this luscious tan depth
- Application - We use a mixture of a stronger colored product laced with illuminator to give you that A-list sparkle. This maximum strength tan is the darkest of all our finishes, and lasts 10 days or more.
AWAY Spa is open daily from 9 am to 9 pm. For further information or to make an appointment call 0207 758 1071 or visit www.wlondon.co.uk/away-spa
Bespoke Tanning by James Harknett
James has been part of the self tanning world for over ten years, and has worked with some of the best people in the industry. He was integral in launching key products from some of the largest tanning brands, such as St Tropez, Xen-Tan and has worked closely with Sienna X and Lee Staffords Fake My Tan. James has worked on numerous TV productions including The Brit Awards, BBC Sports Relief and X Factor, on ITV. His regular clientele includes Geri Halliwell, Christine Bleakley, Denise Van Outen, Brian Friedman, Catherine Tate and many more. James has also appeared in many publications sharing his expert tanning tips which led him to become a regular tanning and beauty expert guest on Lorraine and Daybreak